Saturday, July 02, 2011

"Food for the Soul" - glass on glass mosaic piece

Here is a new piece that I just made for a friend to give as a birthday gift.  I am not sure how successful it is.  The type reads: Food for the Soul and is to be displayed in the window so the owner can see it while admiring her flowers.  I am pleased with the border and the flowers but unsure about the lettering.  I used large seed beads to create the type.  I'm not sure if it would have shown up better if I had used a color in the background rather than the iridized clear.   It was a fun challenge since I have not done much with lettering in the past.  I am also going to use this post to demonstrate a little more about grouting.



Here is the type of sanded grout I use.  The color I most often use is pewter grey but this type of grout comes in many colors.
This is how the piece looked after applying all the glass, beads, rhinestones, tiles, etc. but before applying the grout.


















This is how it looked taped and ready to apply the grout.  Tape helps protect the frame and keeps it clean while grouting.  Be sure to mix the grout very thick and don't use any water when cleaning it off the surface.  Just apply, wait 10 or 15 mins. and then wipe off with a dry paper towel.  I also use a popscicle stick to remove wet grout from around some of the irregular areas before wiping with the paper towel.

2 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

It's absolutely stunning...

Anonymous said...

Another masterpiece. Interesting to see how you did the letters - by stringing beads. I have always shied away from letters, but maybe I can try this and see if I can do it!

I think maybe if you tried a lighter grout just around the letters (or created a boxed area of lighter grout that would "frame" the letters, they would show up better. You can read it very well prior to the grout application.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Deb