Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Freestanding Mosaic Kachinas






Well, said I would post pictures of my current project but have been too lazy to take any so here are some photos of my interpretations of two native american kachinas. They are approximately 2 1/2 to 3 feet tall. Both were made by gluing the mosaic pieces to nylon mesh - when the design was complete I trimmed all the way around and glued them on plywood. My husband cut the forms out and added the support pieces which allow them to stand. He suggested that it would add a lot of dimension to the piece if I would also mosaic the edges so on the second (Eagle Kachina) I did just that . Some of the feathers were enhanced with glass enamel that was painted on and then baked. I have hopes of creating more of these in the future.

No comments: